Monday, July 18, 2011

Hunters, Hunt and Gatherers, Gather... For the W!


Today was the last match of the first of two 4-Nations tournaments occurring this month. My team, the "developmental Canada A" team served as the 4th "nation" for the tournament. I am so proud of the girls and our team because we sure made it a competition and no game against us was an easy walk over. Today we played against Trinidad & Tobago and won 1-0. It was our first win of the tournament and although the scoreline wasn't close to Chile (11-0) and Canada (6-0), a win is a win.

Our brilliant coach, John, used this one analogy all week long that I think is brilliant. He said, "We are hunters and gatherers. The hunters hunt the ball and the gatherers are ready to gather." It became a bit of a theme that we need to be relentless to hunt the ball and everyone else steps in front (gathers the ball) and we look to counter attack ALL TOGETHER. With the speed of some of those kids up front, we really were quite an offensive threat.

Our inexperience in our backfield did lead to several unforced turnovers in our outletting and delivering up the field but it was definitely a good experience to feel that kind of pressure when trying to outlet. Ultimately, no body wants to be under pressure so this was a great opportunity to practice in "mean nothing" games.

What happens now? The next real 4-Nations begins with Japan coming in to replace our team. ONE Canada team will be chosen with 18 athletes and that team will compete. There will be a gold medal and bronze medal game and a winner and loser. So, all the marbles are on the table and this is great preparation for Pan Ams. Now, I don't know where I fit in with the "real" team but whatever happens, I am very proud of the team I competed with and for. We did a great job and I have no regrets... Okay, maybe one - that fourth goal that I gave Chile BUT other than that... It was a great week. Whether I get picked up for the team or not, I learned a lot this week and more than anything I am appreciative that I got to play much earlier than expected after surgery.

Having said THAT, my back totally seized up today. I'm the "old lady" on the team so I guess it was bound to happen. I am hoping a day of rest will help it! Three 70 minute full games in four days is rough on the body when you have been out of game shape for 6 months!

Side note - Canada played Chile after our game and my team mate, Steph Jameson received her 150th  CAP. She has played 150 matches !! That is an incredible milestone for her and I am so proud to be her team mate. She is an inspiration to so many and really is a great friend and team mate. So, I hope to be on the field sharing her 151st CAP but who knows!! Only time will tell...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being chosen for the next 4 nations! Great comeback, Ali!

    ReplyDelete