Sunday, July 17, 2011

Serving Notice

Yesterday, we played the "real" Canada team and it was the typical "A" vs "B" team style game. It felt like a lot of people were rooting for the under dogs and it was a really fun game! The rain continued to poor down on us but I didn't even notice. The game was back and forth with a lot of action. The young kids on my team didn't worry about having to prove anything. They simply went out and played. It was awesome to have that reminder that the kids have this sense of naiveness that carries over and reminds you to just PLAY. It is, afterall, a game. We had a few defensive and structural slip ups that led to the other team's 3 goals but all considering, when they scored, we bounced back. When things looked rough we supported each other positively and didn't go against each other. It was a great feeling to be on a team that just went forward together, back together and rode the wave all together. There was no pointing fingers. A goal was scored against us, we shook it off and charged back to the other end!

It was an amazing feeling to just "serve notice" to that team. Look at the talent in the youth coming up behind. I know there is one thing that I always said before, when I was on the team, that I always felt like every day was a test and I needed to pass to keep my spot. Since being off the field, I've learned that is the key to challenging and pushing yourself. You can never get complacent.

Anyway, we lost 2 games in this series but it sure feels like we won out there on the field yesterday. We are getting better and if we had a few more games I think we really could pull off more W's. I think this experience has been truly valuable so far. Not only have I learned a bit more about structure in the sense of being the sweeper, how to distribute and how to communicate to those in front but I have also had opportunities to grow as a leader, as a player and as a team mate. This team has reminded me that "team" needs to come FIRST not your own ego, your own skill level or how good you think you are. If each person on the team puts the rest of the team first, amazing things can happen!

I'm so proud of this bunch of girls and happy to be along side them. I am learning a lot from them. I hope that we continue to move forward as we take on Trinidad & Tobago on Monday morning at 4pm at UBC!

Check out the highlight videos:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment