Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Making the Come Back

It's been a few days since I have updated my blog but mostly it's because back training means hockey, hockey, hockey non-stop! Since that beautiful ferry day we have had at least a practice every day and then other work outs on the side. For starters, I ran the beep test last Thursday and made my standard to be able to play in the 4-Nations Classic. Not only is it like getting 100lbs of weight lifted off your shoulder but it also means that I'll be suiting for Canada for the first time since October 2010. It feels amazing to know that I will finally get to put that Team Canada uniform on again. I'll tell you, there is no other feeling quite like putting on a Canadian jersey knowing that it belongs to you. If there's one thing I have learned in all this time off it's that you need to take pride in the shirt that you are wearing and the maple leaf on your chest. It's really tough being on the sidelines and given the chance to make a difference on the field, you can not take that for granted.

Moving forward, the 4-Nations Classic Tournament runs from July 15-24th in Vancouver and will be followed by a 3-Test series against Japan that takes us to July 30th. Here is how it is mapped out:

July 15-18th : Canada, Canada "A", Trinidad & Tobago, Chile (Round Robin - 3 games each)
July 18-24th: Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, Chile, Japan (Round Robin plus 1v2 and 3v4 for medals)
July 24-30th: Canada vs Japan (3-Test Series)

It is going to be a very exciting month for Field Hockey Canada and Vancouver. Hosting this many games is not only a way to draw more support but to also show everyone at home how hard Canada has been working at climbing the ladder. The performance at the Champions Challenge II (placing 7th, a lot lower than ranked) actually moved the women's team down from 19th to 20th in the world. So, we need to work really hard to bring ourselves back up.

Having said that, I'm actually only on the squad now since being away from injury and coming back guarantees you only to be considered for a spot. No problem there. I'm really to work to get a spot back on the team and as I said in an old post - I never think my spot is secure. I think in order to make yourself a better player and athlete you have to feel someone leaning on you from behind trying to take your spot at all times. Just because you are on the starting 11 does not mean your spot is guaranteed, ever. I think if you can remember that then you will go far in whatever sport you are in. Take nothing for granted.

So, in the July 15-18th series I will be competing for Canada "A" which is not the "A" team but actually a development team. There are some very talented kids on the team that were picked up after Senior Nationals last week in Victoria. It's an exciting group that is definitely very fresh and new. Today, our head coach, John De Souza, of U of T, flew in to join our assistant, Krista Thompson, of UVic. Having full staff today was like a breathe of fresh air. It is definitely a change from getting coached by the National team head coaches and like I said - it's like a breathe of fresh air. It may all be the same tactics and strategies but a new way of learning is so awesome! It's so exciting!

It's going to be an excellent month of hockey and hopefully if I do well in the development team games I'll be able to make my way back to the top 18 to play in the remainder of the 4-Nations and the Japan series!

I'm very excited to have the potential to join the regulars on the pitch because Pan Ams is just around the corner and I am itching to get on the pitch and help us medal there! I still have A LOT to work on but my spirit is there and I've learned a lot in the months off.

I got some photos sent to me from Neil Hodge from the Senior National tournament I thought I would share with you:



I also was sent this video today which I have to show you because I absolutely love that it combines my ultime fav celeb (JT) and sports, in particular the three field hockey cameos:


No comments:

Post a Comment