Friday, July 15, 2011

Set yourself on Fire!

Today I was back in action in a Team Canada uniform since my last game at the Commonwealth Games against India back in October. The "first game jitters" are finally over and I can start to sink back into the game that I've dedicates so much energy towards improving at. It's really exciting to be competing at this level again and despite playing for the development team, it's going to be a learning curve that only goes upwards. I'm happy with how the girls played today and me being my own worst credit found A LOT to improve on my own game. Having said that.... first game back, have to get my touches on and get back into physical shape. This is the best way to do it!

Chile was able to capitalize on some pour defensive skills and turnovers on our part in our 25 early in the game. They quickly went up 2-0. After that though, we settled down and our greatest strength is the speed in our front line. They earned us a corner and Sara McManus was able to capitalize by striking the ball low and hard inside the far post. It was a great goal for her and a good start for our team to get on the board. The score at half time was 2-1 for Chile.

Second half we came out pretty good but a series of pour mistakes, some on my part, gave them short corners and they capitalized on a mid-height drag flick far side. I don't want to talk about the 4th goal because it was 200% chance my fault... I gave the ball away and still had another chance to save it and missed. Oh well. Part of the game, I suppose... I just really paid the price. We did score a beauty by Marian Dickinson to put the game at 3-2 and then that give away I had put them up 4-2 for the final score. Great learning experience, especially for me...

I read this awesome quote this morning that I told the girls in the opening huddle and it went like this:

"Success is not a result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire."

So, we did set ourselves on fire. We definitely competed and that was #1 on the game plan! So, I am proud of the girls. We take on the "real" Canada team tomorrow so it should be interesting...

Can't wait to get more games in, though :D

Game day photos courtesy of Yan Huckendubler:








No comments:

Post a Comment